Primary Care Specialty Using Mechanical Force and Movements to Promotes Mobility, Function, and Quality of Life
Paediatric Physiotherapy is the treatment and care of babies, children and young people from birth to 19 years. Paediatric Physiotherapists promote the health and wellbeing of children and have additional knowledge and experience of child development and of childhood disabilities.
Treatment is based upon assessment of the child’s needs and the formation of an individual treatment programme. Paediatric physiotherapists recognise the importance of working in partnership with the child, parents and carers to maximise a child’s physical abilities and independence.
Children who have a range of physical difficulties.
A Physiotherapist will assess a child’s movement and muscle in functional ways .
Indicators / Difficulties
- Developmental Delay eg. Rolling, sitting, crawling or walking.
- Unusual Posture
- Persistent Pain, stiffness, inflammation of joints.
- Recent injury or surgery where their normal mobility and range of movement has been decreased.
- Low-tone/floppy infants and children eg. Unable to hold up own head whilst lying on stomach or when supported in a sitting position.
- Reduced sensation in either the upper or lower body. Including the hands, legs and feet.
Next Steps / Benefits
Our Physiotherapist will offer an assessment of your child’s movement in our physio gym. You will be offered advice and activities to complete at home.